- Joining Classes
- Social Mission
- Our Practices
Qualities of Good Communication:
*Communication starts with genuine interest and consideration of “Where they are coming from". To do this, we must listen from our hearts, “try on their shoes”, consider who they are, what are their needs, see into the situation to know how to connect to it. Communication, among other things, is a tool we can use to motivate, energize and create movement towards action.
*Leadership, and/or ‘the ability to see into something”, infers the responsibility of communication. Communication is a “state a openness” and so it has the ability “to transform”. True communication speaks to “that which is the same in each of us” giving each of us, in our own way, the strong-heart of a leader.
*Taking the time and seeing the importance (nurturing the connections) to create a communication network that speaks to individuals and groups (within the organization) and prioritizes “the joining of opposing factions and cultures through their shared common ground. Simply put, group strategies that rely on “fear themes” and divide and conquer methods are replaced with functional Balance, Openness and Connecting themes. A collective Listening that focuses on our similarities: our human qualities.
*The intention to building good connections with others, forming strong organizing, mobilizing and adaptability skills, is the natural process through which good communication skills are tempered and honed. We reflect our life’s experience through our intentions and actions and this is the foundation of true learning and of “PASSING LINEAGE TRADITIONS”. Growth, development and survival all depend and have roots in Passing Lineage Traditions….our ability to communicate through generations.
PRINCIPLES AND MEASURING STICKS
With in the context of developing natural understanding (remembering) of multi-level communication skills is the ability to “TRACK and MEASURE”.
When working with the principles of “what is similar about us”; our basic human qualities, we find a perfectly intact system of timeless principles literally inbedded in our very being; in our “humanness” for many of us, it is a remembering process, and for the rest of us, a developmental process. Perhaps these are one in the same and we shall find this out along the way. To do this, we must understand some principles: How to Track our own development and Measure what is known to understand what is not known.
- The measure of ourselves, what we ask of our self, how we share the difficulties and find solutions that are “in consideration of the whole” (that’s all of us) is a place we may start from. As Leaders, your honor is to lead yourself into the unknown place first, as it has always been, after all, courage and self–knowing are the the tools, and using them are the marks of true leaders.
- Awareness is a constant development until the mind has no resistance. In relation to others, having sensitivity and giving importance to their needs is what develops collective listening. The ability to hear from a neutral position gives the ability to speak from the heart and relate with ease and understanding, both on an individual and group level.
- As multi-levels of communication develop, opportunities arise to create depth and extention in communication. This creates memorable messages and events to “Case Study” that leave lasting impressions. Remaining Present to both our own council (mind/body/spirit) and the ”Ever changing Winds of our community” as we face the changes and challenges that come with this phase of growth, is the place where *Building Trust *Creating Commitment *Increasing Connection *Developing Empathy and Healing all begin to take roots and form the foundation for connection through multi-level communication.
- Communication must reach and be in consideration of ALL levels of the community or organization. At this stage, connection is seen as Breaking down Barriers (“cultures/factions”) and Fear-Trap-Thought-Forms (Individual limitations).
- Multi-level Communication is the alignment of the group’s intention that leads us to Dynamic positioning (the right place at the right time, or timing) and the correct application of the intention. These are basic “blue-prints” for plans moving to action.
3 STEPS TO DEVELOPING MULTI-LEVEL COMMUNICATION
- DEVELOP A VISION PLATFORM
As the strength of the “foundation” we are creating increases (creating commitment, building trust, empowerment, healing and connection), the relevance of the Vision Platform becomes understood…
A Vision Platform is beyond a mission statement:
Constructing long and short term goals,
Small picture and big picture relationships,
Consideration of each individual, group/clan, tribe/organization
A good vision platform develops and strengthens the bonds of the community/tribe and their commitment to a plan with good potential and a realistic way to achieve it. Responsibility is only felt if it is shared.
Through the Vision Platform, the processes of positioning and timing are developed and become one (being in the right place at the right time by virtue of “feeling the rhythm”). Attention is given equally to all parts of the whole and a “Frame-work of Awareness” is established as all become aware that they are “cared for as well as responsible to” themselves and every member of the whole. All “Victories” are shared, whether they were gained by the efforts of one or many, it is understood that the source of true power is harmony in all of life. An atmosphere of “following your path” and “shared Victories” creates a supportive environment and minimizes destructive or individual agendas, replaced with a more “Think-tank atmosphere”.
ELEMENTS OF THE VISION PLATFORM
The base Elements of life, that which is found in nature and shared (at a cellular level) in humans, is the foundation. As abstract as this may seem, we are asked to “observe what is the same” in us to begin to understand and prioritize the Qualities of M.L.C. (multi-level communication). Engaging this inside our selves is the process of Recapitulation and defines and intuits our moment-to-moment communication. A powerful Vision Platform comes from a natural process of evolution and integrity mixed with a healthy dose of compassion and connection to all things. When delivered and shared with others, it has:
- INSPIRATION – Commonly misunderstood, this quality must be nurtured and guarded with the utmost vigilance. Daily inspiration is necessary for all and must be shared in overwhelm until it has a life of its own and is embodied by all. A successful Vision Platform must be “felt to be worthy of the effort” required to achieve it. To face the obstacles and/or challenges of any undertaking, inspiration becomes the tool to “Break through the Barriers”.
- The 3 C’S –
Clarity – A vision plan has little chance of success if it is not understood…this means not assuming that your particular way of communication is always speaking to everyone’s understanding. The art of communication is, in part, feeling were we didn’t make a link or connection and finding a way to speak that creates a connection.
Concise – This has to do with “projecting accuracy”. Accuracy is felt and linked to inspiration when the “details” (plans/small picture) are providing a foundation for “Vision Potential” (action/goals/big picture) to be manifested. Being concise, is based in Clarity.
Comprehensive – This has to do with considering all parts of the whole as it relates to the Inclusiveness. The “Greater Picture” must include a place for all (and it always does; matter of neutrality) and a way to connect to it on a daily basis. Continuity is created naturally in such ways.
Through oral sharing, coupled with the process on self-development, the Vision Platform is born, articulated and supported. Connecting to the base principles of life is where science and spirituality meet uniting science and the principle structure of the Elements (fire, air, water, earth) to Elemental qualities of humanity and its cultural perspectives and variations in belief structures. Encouraging (contains the word “courage”) our shared values and the intention to grow together (as opposed to “grow apart”) is the road to inner inspiration (remember, I said we must find ways to renew this on a daily basis)…
2. COMPARE THE VISION WITH THE REALITY
- Whatever discrepancies exist between the “Projected Vision” (this is the vision forged from deep connection and the shared human value structure) and Reality, this “gap” demands Heroic Leadership. Closing the gaps requires extraordinary efforts in M.L.C. skills, harmonizing, trouble-shooting and possibly a “resetting of the moral compass”.
- Study, Listen and Follow the movements of the animal (person/place/situation), and you will know its nature. When you see “the nature”, you will know why it is the way it is.
- When in motion (movement towards action), move with wholeness (self alignment) and awareness; adjust as needed. Half-hearted movement creates half-ass results and as a result, is considered “part of the problem”.
- Attention to all details, big or small, all persons involved, to the smallest shifts and changes (especially feeling and energetic changes). Small pictures ALWAYS relate to the bigger picture.
- Resetting the “compass” to close the gaps is approached through facing the “current reality” of any given situation, understanding the problem and be willing to ask the same questions over and over until break-through in the blockage is achieved.
- Studying the problem from many angles, gives us “working strategies to transform, creating resolve and renewed belief which turns the vision back into a reality.
- All situations in life are “workable”. This means that there is ALWAYS a potential “win-win” waiting to be found and it is the perspective or attitude of this that makes it possible. This is a core principle based on our ‘working knowledge” of the Circle of Life.
Heroic Leaders are:
- Often testing situations and assumptions as situations evolve, willingly making errors and freely making course changes all along the way. This is the principle that true wisdom is gained through “fearless trial and error”,
- Generally more neutral (less emotional) and tend to follow the rhythm of situations, knowing that there is always an “unseen side” to life and/or situations to consider, allowing a broader range of options.
- Timely in their actions AND their non-actions .
3. COMMUNICATION ON MULTI-LEVELS
Communication resolves discrepancies between the vision and the reality and fuels new resolve to take action. Tactical communication establishes a “ role model behavior environment” where leadership qualities can be shared and “field recon” can be utilized to the fullest. Entering into “the fray” gives hands on experience (sharing the burden of the people) and an opportunity to work with all levels of the organization. In the Native world, this is referred to as “walking your talk” and demonstrates your inter-connectedness and validates Communication Legitimacy.
MULTI-LEVEL PERCEPTION OF COMMUNICATION
Type: Trans-Generational, Ethical
Goal: Cultural/Human Values, Circle of Life Traditions
Foundation: Belief Structure/ Life wisdom and experience Credibility, “Walking your Talk”
Type: Internal systems/departments, Hierarchy/Human Resources
Foundation: Power-sharing, Inclusive and growth oriented environments, Common ground connection
Goal: Adaptability, connection, trust, balance in motion
“one mind, one action”.
Foundation: a past that shows experience, wins and ”failures”, “Battle-hardened Resolve”, neutrality and balance. Personality traits that include: humor, flattery, responsibility, courage, humility, story-telling , “cajoling” and an over-all desire to share.
Type: Strategic planning/”Field Recon”/ “Compass Adjustments”
Goal: Group clarity, awareness, alignment, Timing/Positioning
Foundation: Objectivity/Neutrality, centeredness, understanding of rhythms. *Ability to project, *Trouble-shooting, *Break-through capacity, * Tracker/Hunter/Stalker
Goal: Functional constructs/structures/systems –efficiency and connection within the organization.
Living Guidelines that support the needs of the individual and gives each one a place in the vision platform.
Survival Tools that provide functional methods and principles for balancing disfunctional norms, the ability to find and face the problems at a root level.